A Church on the Move.
“In 1878, a few people living on surrounding and current land that is now Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in New Hope Township began meeting together for prayer and worship services in the home of a family of Hinson’s. As the number grew they had to have more room, and they moved into an old pioneer cabin which was used as the schoolhouse. The church was organized in this cabin in 1881.”
(Mitchell, Nelson, soon-to-be published The History of Daniels Memorial United Methodist Church 1878-2008, p. 5) The Church was formally chartered on March 20, 1883. BB Holden was appointed as the first preacher of the Goldsboro Circuit (11 churches) in 1881.
In June of 1942, the United States Government purchased the property where the church stood. The church building was moved to its present site and is part of the present sanctuary.
In 1948, the church became a fulltime charge with the appointment of Rev. Wade Goldston as pastor.
In 1995, construction began on our new fellowship hall, with Homecoming in 1996 being the first major event held in our wonderful addition.
We have had great leaders and members at Daniels Memorial United Methodist Church throughout our history. We have had seven people who have gone into the ministry from Daniels Memorial including: Daniel Reed (1885), Russell Spence (1952), Royce Smith (1963), Craig Langston (2000), Robert Bandy (1998), Brian Huffman (2003), Linda Grider (2003), and soon our 8th, Brock Meyer (2010).
We look forward to the ways God will choose to use us in the years to come.